5 Reasons to Never Change Your Own Oil
July 2nd, 2015
So you’ve been changing your oil all this time…how hard can it be, right? Well, here are some things to consider before you do your next oil change:
- There’s always the possibility that something could go wrong. You could get in a hurry or get distracted and possibly not replace the drain plug tightly enough. You could not screw the spin-on filter tightly enough, causing it to loosen up and drain out your oil within a few miles, seizing the engine. You could cross-thread the filter or (worse) the drain plug, causing yourself a real headache. Or you could put the filter on too tightly, deforming the gasket and causing a leak. You could not notice that a chunk of the old filter's gasket is stuck to the block, making it impossible for the new filter to seal properly. Or you could…well, you get the idea. There will always be things that can go wrong.
- Waste oil is nasty stuff. You inevitably end up with a receptacle full of waste oil, then another, then another and before long you have gallons and gallons of the disgusting, environmentally-dangerous stuff that needs to be disposed of. Going to a shop like Chabill’s Tire & Auto Service means that we deal with the used motor oil so you don’t ever have to.
- You could miss something. A trained automotive tech can detect problems under your car that you might overlook…problems like rust, a loose exhaust hanger, a transmission or crankcase leak, slop in the driveline, suspension issues, brake problems or any number of things that you could conceivably miss, regardless of how sharp-eyed you are.
- If something goes wrong, you only have yourself to blame. That, of course, also means that you’re on the hook for getting it fixed. In the unlikely event that a shop messes up your oil change, they’re insured against the cost of repairing the damage.
- You miss out on establishing a good relationship with your shop. For us at Chabill’s Tire & Auto Service, this is one of the most important factors. We view all our customers as family and welcome those relationships…and the more familiar our techs are with your car, from one visit to the next, the more they can help you out by keeping you informed of what’s going on with it and what issues might be coming up before long.
We know that you might like getting out the socket set, the drain pan and the shop towels for a quick driveway oil change, but you might want to consider all these factors next time. Besides, with the low price of an oil change at Chabill’s Tire & Auto Service in Baton Rouge, LA, sooner or later you’re going to ask yourself, “What’s my time really worth, anyway?”. Fluid checks, oil changes and all general auto repairs are important to the life and performance of your vehicle!
Tags: vehicle maintenance, Oil Change, Auto Repair, Oil Change Baton Rouge LA, Auto Repair Baton Rouge LA
Posted in: Auto Repair 101